In my previous posts, I explained about Data Subset in TDM & Implementation Approaches to Data Sub-setting. In this post, I will explain some basic techniques with the help of which we can do a data subset.
- First N records
- This is a pretty simple technique, wherein the first N records of a table is retrieved from the Production database. This can be achieved using a simple SQL Query such as
- SELECT TOP 10000 * FROM DBO.CUSTOMERS
- Based on a filter criteria
- This is a scenario where the subset conditions can be based on a simple filter criteria like Age > 50, City = London, etc. This is easier to implement in cases where the subset requirements are less complicated. An example query for such technique would be
- SELECT * FROM DBO.CUSTOMERS WHERE AGE > 50 AND CITY = 'LONDON'
- Based on a complex SQL query
- Sometimes the subset requirements can be more complicated. It might involve dependencies across multiple tables. What that means is